DIY: Natural Bug Spray That Works

 

DIY Bug Spray PDF

I’ve always loved bonfires and camping but no matter how much bug spray I wear I always turn into a mosquito buffet. Not to mention the noxious smell and sticky “I have to take a shower ASAP” feeling that goes along with commercial bug spray. I’ve also read several articles touting the horrible side effects of DEET and other chemicals included in store bought sprays.

After searching the interweb for something natural that would really work I created this spray. I’ve worn it several times for bonfires and I haven’t gotten a bite since (and my husband who never wore bug spray because “they don’t bite me” is now eaten alive). The only odd phenomena I did notice was that the occasional mosquito would still land on me. But they would never bite, I would just feel them land for a second and then they were gone. So without further adieu here’s what worked for me:

  • 1 ounce boiled or distilled water
  • 3/4 ounce witch hazel
  • 24 drops lemon essential oil
  • 10 drops peppermint essential oil
  • 6 drops eucalyptus essential oil

Mix all ingredients in a small spray bottle and shake well before using. I generally spray this on all of my exposed skin as well as lightly on my clothes. Just make sure you don’t spray in your eyes or mouth (and obviously check with a health practitioner before using during pregnancy or on children). I’ve found that if I’m outside for more than a couple of hours it does help to reapply but to me this is a small price to pay for not being eaten alive or gassed by store-bought bug spray.

Also, feel free to double or triple this recipe if you would like a larger quantity at one time.

Bug Spray Labels

Raising Meat Rabbits: Our Setup So Far

DSCN1241

So it’s been a little over three months since we got our first New Zealand White rabbits. ¬†We were able to find two 8 week old does and a 12 week old buck for $10 each via craigslist. Our plan is to get two more does in the near future for a total of 4 does and a buck.

Our beginning setup was a wood hutch that we got off of craigslist and refurbished (I use this term loosely: hubby-to-be basically replaced everything but the floor joists). The initial plan was to use this hutch until we could build two larger ones from scratch but it soon became apparent that wood hutches were not only pricey to build right but were hard to keep clean, not to mention the amount of chewing they would be subjected to. We decided in the long run that stacked cages were the way to go for the setup we wanted. We quickly came to the realization that purchasing said cages new was not in our budget and set about looking for used ones.

We were able to find seven 36″x30″ cages with stacking legs on craigslist for $150. The cages were nice and solid when we got them but in pretty rough cosmetic condition.

Image

We decided to replace all of the floors with new wire. Then we sanded, primed and painted the cages and legs with black Rustoleum paint. The last step was reassembling each stack of three and adding a wheeled base made of 2’x4’s. We also added sets of metal urine guards from Bass Equipment. Bottles, feeders and pans were all purchased at Tractor Supply.

The end result, while in our budget, certainly wasn’t cheap but it fits the space we have to work with and is easy to clean and maintain. We hope to make it work for several years with minimal maintenance.

Here’s the official before and after:

Cages Before and After

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the companies mentioned in this post, all products were purchased by me, all opinions are my own.

Shared with: Homestead Barn Hop